SAAB 9-5 RADIO PROBLEM

2002 SAAB 9-5

My Saab 9-5 was accelerating funny on my way to work. After an when I went to start the car it started and then cut out. My garage guy says there is no fuel pressure and wants to replace the fuel pump. That seems logical, but my car has had some electrial problems in the past. The radio will randomly get a very loud intermittent static sound. I also thought I noticed that my inside gauges where more dim than normal. While waiting to have it towed, It seemed strange that the radio would still work when only turn on part way(just so the lights, window, radio work) But when I would turn the key to on the radio and would cut out like it wasn't getting any power in the key on position.

Are they able to properly diagnosis a fuel pump problem if there is a problem with the battery or electrical system?
I'm just afraid that this expensive job, quoted around $900 may not be the real issue. Any advice you could give would be great.
It has 152,000 Miles and is a Saab 9-5 2002