AIRBAG AND SERVICE LIGHT

2002 Renault Clio • 77,000 miles

The sun roof was leaking for ages now the airbag and service light is on also the car is 2002 1.2 16valve renault clio I really need to get this fixed whats the best and cheapest way to do this can I do this myself I have a bit of car know how cheers
Swally125

Need the codes for the failing systems.

Dunno how to get the codes I have however heard that this is a very common problem with clios and that its something to do with wiring I live in the scottish highland and garages charge a fortune I have quite a bit of car and general engineering know how cheers

Swally125
Let us know so we can help you.

I donno what codes are and how to get them can you please tell me what they are and how to get them cheers

Swally125
The only way to test this is to scan the ECU with an OBD11 scanner, the SRS system is rather complex and no mechanic no matter how experienced will attempt to do any repairs with out knowing where the fault lies and to do this the system must be scanned, often the components are expensive and who want to start throwing parts at the car in the hope of getting it fixed. Eventually. You may have to adjust the sun roof or check for blocked drains or worn or damaged seals.

Mhpautos
All rubbish, I had same problem on my 2002 clio 1.5 Dci. Basically under the passenger seat you should see some wires. Give them a wiggle and then see if lights still on, if they still are carefully unplug and re plug and they should definitely turn off. Hope it works, has done for me 3 times.

Lukerann
Give the wires a wiggle? And the problem has kept recurring? Great fix. Not! Inappropriate and dangerous in the extreme. It is obvious that the last poster has no understanding of the SRS system at all.

Mhpautos
Well it works : D

a number of forums will tell you that this is a common fault in a clio and renault try charging 1000+ to fix it so why not just do this simple fix every so often as there is actually nothing wrong with the car at all : D chill out dude!

Lukerann
We are here to advise on the correct repairs and having people calling our advice rubbish is counter productive, whenever the SRS light is on, the system is deactivated so no airbag deployment will occure during an impact, hence fixing this serious fault correctly, as a professional tradesman I would never allow a customer to drive a car knowing that a temporary fix could cause death or serious injury, could you live with that if your fix failed again and someone was killed or seriously injured? That's the difference between a professional and an amateur.

Mhpautos
The difference between a professional and an amateur are 200 or 1000 !

Mikmik