OLDSMOBILE ALERO JACK PROBLEM

2002 Oldsmobile Alero • 75,000 miles

Recently when driving I hear a winding noise. It sounds like an airplane taking off. When stopping it slows and becomes lower pitch. It does not seem to be the engine because I can rev the engine and hear the noise of the engine separately.
ARW

If you put the transmission in neutral and coast is the noise still there?

Yes, when the car is in neutral and coasting the noise is still there. The faster the car is going the faster the winding noise is.

ARW
Does it sound like its coming from the front or back of the car?Also do you have a jack and jack stands?

Yes, I have a jack and a jack stand. The noise sounds like its coming from the front of the car. I can't tell if it is more left or right sounds fairly centered

ARW
Put the front of the car on jack stands so the front wheels are off the ground. Then put the car in neutral then put one hand on the coil spring and use the other hand to spin the wheel as fast as you can. If the wheel bearing is bad you will be able to feel it in the coil spring. Check both sides and compare them to each other. Let me know what you find.

OK, I put the car on jack stands and spun the wheels and both sides felt pretty much the same. However, I couldn't get the wheels to spin very easily or fast.

ARW
Even in neutral they didn't spin very fast?Did you check the back wheels also?