SIGNAL PROBLEM

2002 Oldsmobile Alero • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 202,000 miles

I am troubleshooting my wifes Alero. I already suspect this to either be the hazard relay or the turn signal relay. But I am unsure and would really like some guidance. The turn signal is intermitant, it works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt. Playing with the signal lever does nothing, the light bulbs are all good, when the signal does not work if I press the hazard button it seems to almost reset the system and allows the turn signal to start working. This however does not work everytime, but with some manupulating of the hazard button it will work out, it is a very tempermental discrepancy. What are my options? I was beggining to think it might even be in the steering column but I would rather not get into that immediatly seeing how it is more costly and time consuming. I look forward to seeing what you have to say.
Kalicastaway

You'll need a new hazard warning switch. For what ever reason, the idiots at Oldsmobile combines a single flasher internal to the Hazard switch, which now replaces both the old style Turn Signal Flasher & the Hazard Flasher.

This new style integral flasher is not independently serviceable.

Note: Lights flashing at twice the normal rate indicates a bulb is in need of replacement.

Here's the procedure for changing the hazard switch.

HAZARD WARNING SWITCH REPLACEMENT - ON VEHICLE

REMOVAL PROCEDURE (IP stands for: Instrument panel)

1. Remove the hazard warning switch bezel from the Instrument Panel (IP) using a small-flat bladed tool to release the retainers.

2. Remove the IP center air outlet.
3. Remove the IP cluster.
4. Remove the left side bolt from the hazard warning switch through the instrument panel cluster pocket.

5. Remove the right side and center lower bolts from the hazard warning switch through the center air outlet opening.

6. Reposition the hazard warning switch to the center air outlet opening.

7. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard warning switch.
8. Remove the hazard warning switch from the IP.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Connect the electrical connector to the hazard warning switch.

2. Position the hazard warning switch to the mounting points in the IP.

3. Install the left side bolt to the hazard warning switch through the IP cluster pocket.

Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 3 N.M (27 lb in).

4. Install the right side and center lower bolts to the hazard warning switch through the center air outlet opening.

Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 3 N.M (27 lb in).

5. Install the IP cluster.
6. Install the IP center air outlet.

7. Install the hazard warning switch bezel to the IP. Press the bezel into place until fully seated.

Ernest Clark