NISSAN SENTRA BURNING OIL PROBLEM

2002 Nissan Sentra • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 83,000 miles

I'm looking for a Nissan Sentra that can be as reliable as my 1999 Sentra GXE that has 216,000 miles on it and still ticking. I checked out a 2002 NISSAN SENTRA SPEC-V 2.5 L (automatic) today that needs some work and inspection. The mechanic selling it stated that all necessary repairs, replacements will be addressed during inspection, if I decide to buy it. He's asking $4000 for it. To me that sounds reasonable at 83K miles. What is making me hesitant is all the issues that people have with this model. Postings on the internet regarding recalls, engine replacement, burning oil, etc. Has this model had a history of problems? I did notice the radiator was very loose and the grommets set to hold it in place were stertched and worn. I'd like another Nissan, but need a reliable car for commuting to work.
Thanks in advance.
CJP