THE LEFT REAR BRAKE CALIPER IS VERY LOOSE AGAINST THE PADS. PADS ARE ONLY HALF WORN. IS THE SELF ADJUSTER NOT WORKING PROPERLY?

2002 Nissan Maxima • 255,000 miles

The caliper actuates and stops the wheel, but the pedal fades and the emergency brake will not close far enough to hold the wheel. The caliper piston retracts all the way when the pedal is released. If the piston was cranked in too far the last time the pads were replaced, would that make the adjuster not work?
Sethmaxima

No, but the inside worm may not be working. You may have to replace the caliper.

Check the handbrake cables. If it is seized or adjusted too tight, the auto adjustment is not going to work. Release the tension of the handbrake cable and pump the brakes a few times and retest. If the piston now comes out, readjust the cable till there is a slight free play and you are done.

Thanks for the replies. The handbrake cable is ok so I guess its replace the caliper.

Sethmaxima
If the piston is moving in and out correctly, I don't think the caliper is the problem. Have you loosensed the cable tension and tried pumping the pedal to activate the auto adjuster? One more thing to check would be the slider bolts, ensure they are moving freely.