CAR IS MAKING A LOUD KNOCKING NOISE

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer • 73,000 miles

My son let his car run completely out of oil, yesterday if started making a loud knocking noise and the engine light came on. He put 2 quarts of penzoil in it but the noise remains. What do you think may be wrong and what should he do?
Venesha

Send it to the salvage yard or head to the salvage yard to look for a replacement engine. Once the knocking noises start, there is a lot more worn than just the parts making that noise. It will need a total rebuild, and you can expect a remanufactured crankshaft will be needed. The rebuild will also address the original reason for losing the oil, but that will cost a lot more than a used engine. There should have been plenty of warning that something was wrong before the knocking started.

I bought a minivan that needed the same work although it wasn't run out of oil. Students did all the work but parts and machine shop work still cost over $300.00.