REAR DRUM GETTING HOT

2002 Jeep Wrangler • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 150,000 miles

2002 jeep wrangler rear drum getting hot? Its getting to be a money pit for me I have 9 1/2 drum on the back and replaced the rear drums and shoes with new then It seem that the right side was getting hotter the the left side? Very hot without even using my brake after a trip around the block 1 mile? The first thing I done was to replace the wheel cyl on both sidea with factory new parts and bleed both lines same thing? Then I replaced the springs on both sides and still same thing? Then I replaced the hose for the back brakes and still same thing. I have ran about 2 pints of brake fluid thinking I had air in the lines and still getting the same problems? I have replaced the brake line steel 3/16 on the driver side rear because I had a small leak that fixed the leak but still gettin hot on the right side?. I was thinking parking brake sticking so I just disconnected the cable on both sides and ran it and still getting hot. I had photos of the shoes before I took them off and after so my springs are in the right place. Am thinking the shoes are the problem now as they are non factory shoe? But I cannt understand is why when the jeep is on a stand both wheels seem to turn free but that right side after running has got me?. I know if I take this to my dealer they will $$$$ me to death with a 300.00 bill at 80.00 a hour without finding the problem. Any advice. I have let the adjuster do most the work on getting the shoes adjusted os I wouldnt over adjust them.
Jeeperson4wd

The only time i've ever had hot drums is if I overadjusted the shoes to tight.

Fixitmr
Try switching drums? Or put some oil on shoes?

Fixitmr
How can it be overadjusted when my wheel turns free. Could it be the adjuster on the rightside. I place a few photo of the rightside maybe someone could see a problem with a spring.

Jeeperson4wd
Glad you sent the pics!

Sorta hard to tell. And sorta hard to see what I'm about to suggest

Don't think I'm calling you dumb or stupid

This word is more fitting "Ignorant"--If it applies

I too was once ignorant to stuff like this

Meaning---YOU JUST DON'T KNOW. Yet!

Like I said I cannot tell from the pics---specially just seeing one wheel.

It may be right---I cannot tell----YOU TELL ME. Please!

If you remove both drums in the rear

Observe the shoesTHE LINING!

HERE's THE THING

On one side or the linings shorter than on the other wheel

Longer on opposite wheel!

OR. One side is longer than other side is on the same wheel

Normally brake shoes come with a PRIMARY SHOE (short lining) and a SECONDARY SHOE (long lining). In the box 2 of each

ONE OF EACH GOES ON EACH WHEEL

The PRIMARY (short) ALWAYS GOES TOWARD THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE. NO MATTER IF IT'S FRONT AXLE OR REAR AXLE. THE SECONDARY (long) GOES TO THE REAR

I have 2 Jeeps presently (total of 6) Never anything else, do I want for primary transportation. Never had anything else!

BOTH OF MINE (now) ARE DRUM, ALL THE WAY AROUND

I have seen many people make the same mistake

I CANNOT TELL BY YOUR PICS,

Whether they are in the correct positions?

Fill me in, fellow Jeep Guy!

My 2--"Mr. JEEP" and "WILLY"

The Medic

The shoes came with on thicker shoe and a shorter one, the thicker one already had a pin for the adjuster and not the other. I took a photo of the shoes before I removed them I will place a pic here a before I tryed to fix the brakes photo.

Jeeperson4wd
Get me a pic(s) from the bottom looking up toward the self adjuster (new pic) I wanna see the plate, spring, and cable at it. And one from each side (3 and 9 O'clock). Focus and low glare would be nice!

What is the blue stuff?

From what I can see (after rotating your pic) Primary and Secondary look correct. By chance, because of the pin being there. Did you already know about short and long?

Still looking to see if all looks correct. Send pics!

Your Turn

The Medic

The shoes came with the pin on one side so was thinking it was set, the blue shoes was the ones I too off and returned wish I had them back now. I called the jeep dealer today and asked a few thing and they was telling me for them to look at it could cost 8 hours at 85.00 a hour WOW. Here a few more photo and I seem to think that shoe could had got the liner damaged by the heat but not sure? Could be the adjuster or even a wrong shoe but the old and new look the same, I been working on brakes for years and never hed this problem even have the jeep book on the 2002 and springs are ok

Jeeperson4wd
From what I can see, stuff looks fine. Maybe they were Adjusted/ Self-Adjusted too tight

Ta Heck with the DEALER! They cannot even help me with parts anymore!

Can you limp him over to A brake shop-Tire store that does brakes

Jack him up in the parking lot

Snatch the wheel

See if you can get a Helpful Feller, from inside, to at least come take a gander?

Where you at?

People Hospitable there, as they are here?

Don't be embarrassed or shy, just do it?

C'mon, if my 21 year old daughter can put up with me driving "WILLY" w/ shorts, T-Shirt, and my Old "Steel Pot Helmet" on, taking her to Walmart. You can go the "Begger Route", can't you? What's there to lose. Reach in your cooler and give the man a Coke!

I am a Master of this sorta thing!

The Medic

Seem like dealers and shops all they think about is the cash and setting me up with a appontment to bring the jeep in, if I tryed to get any advice here in my city I just get strange looks as if they don't know or care and I would say its both. I have a few more things to try first but am thinking its the cheap carcraft shoes I got on the jeep now now. Will keep users/readers informed on what I find.

Jeeperson4wd
High School--Technical School Auto Mechanics Department give throw you a bone?

Give 'Em a call see if you can do what I said above and they take a look.

Like I said--Must be motivated!

Your City/ State have a name?

Was deployed many places when I was a "Paid" Airborne Ranger.I study peoples cultures habits.

I know you think I'm crazy. BUT.I can find inexpensive resources, See them 2 Jeeps at the top---I nearly have built the '77, back from scratch---I DID BUILD THE '46 FROM NOTHING!

Not accomplished by "subbing stuff out"---I did this as inexpensive as possible, all by myself!

Me with "Expert" by my name does not mean "Professional". Imma Plumber Now! (When employed), With Mega CJ Jeep/ Older Ford experience.(School of hard knocks)

Last time my Jeeps (at that time) were inna shop was 1987, this was while I was still in the Army.I am frugal. This is my hobby.I did not sign up for $$$, I just want to help other Jeep people

You have local resources, just gotta know how to find and use 'em!

Even your pup can help you!

The Medic