WHAT WOULD CAUSE MY TO SHAKE AND STALL?

2002 Jeep Liberty • 158,000 miles

Tonight when I started my Jeep, it was severly shaking. I started to head home (a 45 minute drive); and when I got to my 2nd stop sign. The Jeep stalled. I put it in park, and it restarted immediately. Even though it was time, I went ahead and checked the fluid levels. I need to add distilled water to the coolant, which I did; and the oil did not even register and that was a big shocked to me. I add the distilled water and three quarts of oil. It was late, and my daughter and I were in a strange town, so we decided to try to make it home. The shaking greatly approved, which was a relief. We still had a problem with stalling each time we stopped. We lucky made it home, but now I do not know what to do! It is possible the an oil change with all the filters being changed could help? We just moved, so I don't have a mechanic yet; and I can't waste money with trial and error changes. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Jeffigirl

If this problem is only here when at idle, I would get the IASC cleaned and checked, check that the throttler body is clean and check for any vacuum leaks, a mechanic should only be charging about 1Hrs labour to do these simple checks.

Mhpautos
NOT BEING "SMART"

YOUR OWNERS MANUAL PROBABLY SUGGESTS CHECKING YOUR OIL (MAYBE ALL FLUIDS) ONCE A WEEK!....NOT EVERY 4500 MILES (AT OIL CHANGE TIME?)

THIS KEEPS YOU ALERT ON POSSIBLE PROBLEMS WITH LEAKS, ROCKS BUSTING YOUR OIL PAN ETC.....THIS VERY WELL COULD SAVE YOUR ENGINE, IF REPAIRED IN TIME.

EVER NOTICE PILOTS DOING ALL OF THIS EVERY TIME--BEFORE THEY FLY? THEY CANNOT JUST PULL OVER...THEIR LIFE IS AT RISK! YOURS MIGHT BE TOO IF YOUR ENGINE SHELLS OUT AT 70 MPH, AND YOU CREATE AN IMMEDIATE SMOKE SCREEN!

WATCHING THOSE GAUGES/ LIGHTS, IS IMPORTANT AS WELL

GET YOU A REPAIR MANUAL--AT MIN, READ THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE PARTS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

JUST TRYIN' TO HELP....FEMALES IN MY HOUSE TOO, THEY SELDOM LISTEN!

Mhpautos - thank you for your suggestions. Will definitely get the throttler and vacuum leaks checked.

CJ MEDEVAC - I will have you know that I check my fluids on a regular schedule which is why I knew what needed to be added, and I was surprised that oil was not registering. Maybe the females in your house aren't listening, because they are tuning out the small minded male chauvistic pig who is speaking.

Jeffigirl
LIKE I SAID, NOT TRYING TO BE SMART---I DO NOT KNOW YOU OR YOUR HABITS---I'M SURE YOU KNOW PEOPLE THAT DRIVE, TILL IT WON'T GO NO MORE

IS YOU NOTICED? IMMA JEEP GUY, AND I HATE TO SEE ONE DOWN

I'M SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU IN ANY WAY. STILL JEEP BUDDIES?

Hi: The rough idle is most likely the result of a sensor problem. If the check engine light has come on, have the computer scanned to identify trouble codes. Most nationally recognized parts stores will do it for free. My first guess is the idle air control valve (IAC) or you may have a simple vacuum leak. Try this, start the engine and open the hood. Listen for hissing sounds and try to locate them if you hear one. A vacuum hose may have come off or dry rotted and need replaced. If you go to our homepage under the DIY section, there are involved directions that explaine different ways to check for vacuum leaks. As far as the IAC, you can remove it from the throttle body and inspect it for operation. There is a pintil valve that should move when you turn the key from off to on. If it doesn't move, replace it. Its purpose is to allow metered air into the engine at an idle, when the throttle plate is closed. If it doesn't work properly, the engine idle will be affected.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.