TRANSMISSION

2002 Isuzu Axiom • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 140,000 miles

Automatic transmission torque converter goes out after being replaced 2000 miles mechanic says needs cooler. Car went 140000 miles with cooler now blames need for cooler for failure.
Jerry sexton

If it is cooling efficiency, the transmission clutches would be more likely to be affected more than the torque converter.

Was the replaced torque converter new, used or reman? What is the actual fault of the torque converter, stripped splines?

Torque converter was new & all clutches were new on the rebuild3 months ago. Immediately after rebuild car started getting 11 miles to the gallon on gas. Prior to rebuild it got 20 miles to the gallon. They took it back in & replaced torque convertor $ for appx. 2 tanks of gas the mileage went back up & then went back down again & then the transmission started slipping again & the car would die at stop lights &now they say torque converter is out again and its because the tranny needs a cooler. My other question is how did the car go 140000 miles without one & now all of a sudden wont go 2000 miles without one.

Jerry sexton
If it is a cooler fault, the ATF warning lamp would be on all the time indicating high temperature.

I still don't see the reason why the oil cooler is being faulted for the problem.

Unless the original cooler inside the radiator is clogged resulting in inefficient cooling, the cooler have nothing to do with the torque converter failing.

You mentioned the loss of mileage after initial rebuild and I believe it could be something inside the trans that has failed instead of the torque converter.

I think you are right & I think that just some parts were replaced & or used parts & converter may have been used. Thank you for the info & appreciate any suggestions. You have been very helpful an seem very knowledgeful & I wouldnt hesitate to pay for your advise. Thanks jerry

Jerry sexton
You're welcome.

Generally torque converters seldom fails and if any, they occurs few and far in between.

Have a nice day.