STEERING PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP SINGLE MOM

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe • 100,000 miles

I was driving on the highway going 70MPH. My car was pulling to the right while it was raining. Its been slightly pulling to the right for about 3 wks but thought I just needed an alignment. I was coming up to a car that was going much slower then I. So I tried to slow down and my breaks weren't working. I ended up swerving and hit a gaurd rail to try and miss the car in front of me. Now my car is shaky and pulls to the right, it is unsafe to drive on the road. What is wrong with my car, and what can I do?
Tory23

The shaking is likely due to a bent wheel if that started right after hitting something, but it can also be caused by a broken belt in a tire. When the belt is just starting to come apart, it can cause a pull to one side.

You need to be more specific about the brakes "not working". Did the brake pedal go all the way down to the floor? Was it high and hard like normal but the car just didn't stop?

My grandpa said it sound like the control arm or idol arm needs to be adjusted. The brakes where high and very hard and would not break at all

Tory23
Your car doesn't use an idler arm. The lower control arm could be bent causing the pull but it won't cause a shaking in the steering wheel.

The brakes had water on the linings. Normally disc brake pads scrape water off but you have to use them occasionally to keep them dry. Even if that brake fade does occur, the rear drum brakes should have slowed the car down. Those only do about 20 percent of the stopping but that should be enough to stop.