HONDA CRV IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM

2002 Honda CRV • 13,600 miles

Dear Honda, While making a left hand turn onto my street in my 2002 CRV my honda stalled. I lost all power plus steering while I was able to coast to the side of the road. This has happened once before also with a left hand turn. The first time, a mechanic rebooted the computer and gave it a tune up. It ran for 2 months when the second stall happened. I took it to someone different and they said they couldn't help me, but that I should look at the instrument panel and notice what lights are on if it happens again. I read about Honda CRV's having a recall for dirty and/or worn ignition switches, but that was before my year vehicle. Would you please help me?
Mac12

The re boot did nothing.

It could be fuel slosh in the gas tanki if your fuel was low.

You need to find out if spark or fuel went away during this event

Half a tank of gas at the time.

Mac12
Are you able to restart after it stalled?
What is the idling speed at operating temperature?

No, I was not able to restart. Every time I started it it would fire up fine, but then when I let go of the key it would die. This last time I finally got it to idle, but very weak and it finally stalled.

Mac12
The ignition switch is faulty based on the symptoms described. Though your vehicle is out of the recall range, it is not a trouble free component and can fail too.

The next time it occurs, note if the dash indicator lights are showing. After restarting and when it stalls after letting go of the ignition key, note if the dash lights are showing as well. If they are not showing, it confirms the ignition switch is faulty.

Thanks! You've been awesome! The first time it happened was at night and I remember all the lights on the dash going off. Thank you for your time and I truly appreciate it. I use my car for music ministry with two churches. Thank you for furthering God's work! : )

Blessings for a very Merry Christmas!

Michael McIntyre

Mac12
You're are welcome and Merry Christmas to you too.

If you'd like to send me your address I'd be happy to send you a couple of my CD's. Blessings

Mac12
I live on the other end of the globe, Malaysia to be exact and that might be too much trouble for you.

Thank you for the offer.