HOLDEN RODEO ALTERNATOR PROBLEM

2002 Holden Rodeo • 158,300 miles

Ute runs great but after about 5 minutes the check engine light illuminates. The battery seems to be overcharging and spewing water from the vents. Any ideas what could be wrong? Driving seems like nothing is wrong. Smooth engine performance and idle is calm and smooth. Just that light is on.
Wayne4647

Probably a faulty voltage regulator in the alternator, check the actual charge rate at the out put of the alternator first, anything over 14.2 volts will be a faulty reg.

Mhpautos
Checked the voltages. Battery now static at 15.77 volts, at idle alternator showing 17.7 volts. Think the alternator needs to be changed?

Wayne4647
Way to high and proberbly by now the battery has buckled the plates as it has been well and truly cooked by now.

Mhpautos
Having a problem. Vehicle came without a manual and I am not sure what the engine spec is. All I can get is that it is a 6 cylinder, petrol fuel, 3.2L V-6 D1. The spec plate in the vehicle says the motor is a RLV. Can you help me figure out which motor I have so I can purchase the new alternator. Thank you.

Wayne4647
Give those details to an auto elect even repco or bursons who ever you can deal with, they should be able to work out the correct alt, you may have to take it off and read the numbers on the alternator.

Mhpautos
How do I release the belt tensioner on a 2002 rodeo v 6 motor

Wayne4647
Ok have the alternator removed and the main power lead removed. My problem now is how to release the 2 wire cannon plug on the alternator. Do I just pull it off or are there some release that I do not see. Thanks.

Wayne4647
There is a small tang you have to push and pull the plug at the same time.

Mhpautos
I want to thank you, the job is done with your assistance and runs fine now. Thank you once more, bye 4 now.

Wayne4647
Thank you, glad to be of help

Cheers, Mark

Mhpautos