FORD TAURUS FRAME PROBLEM

2002 Ford Taurus • 160,000 miles

I NEED TO REPLACE THE A/C CLUTCH PULLEY AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE EASIEST WAY TO CHANGE IT

Got this from a Taurus guy.

Remove the Negative battery cable.
Raise the car and support the car on jack stands. Just to the rear of the rear sub-frame mounts there are"rails" under the car, put the stands there as you will be dropping the sub-frame.
Disconnect the dog bone dampener.
Remove the serpentine belt.
Remove the right front wheel/tire assembly.
Disconnect the right side end link from either end, complete removal is NOT necessary.
Remove the right side strut pinch bolt.
Remove the little bolt that holds the brake line to the strut. 10mm I believe.
Place your jack under the passenger's side of the sub-frame near the control arm.
Remove the two sub-frame bolts on that side.
Lower the jack, slowly, to a position that you can see the A/C clutch.
It may be necessary to remove the front sub-frame bolt on the driver's side, but the last 3 vehicles I've done it wasn't necessary.
After you've got the cradle dropped, you should see the center bolt for the clutch. 8mm IIRC. Remove it and the front plate should come off with a little help of a screw driver and wiggling it a bit.
Behind that there is a snap ring, you'll need snap ring pliers to get it off, then you can remove the pulley. The last part is the coil, unplug it carefully, as I've seen people yank out the wire and mess up the plug. Then with a small hammer or a couple of screwdrivers, either pry the coil off, or knock it off by hitting it on two different sides alternately.
To reinstall the coil, you'll need a piece of 2x4 or something to cover the "face" of the coil to knock(press) it back on. From there install everything in reverse order that it came off.

You shouldn't need to realign the car, at least none of the ones I've done haven't needed it, but it would be a good idea to have it realigned if it has not been done with in a year.

Freemba