FORD TAURUS TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2002 Ford Taurus • 97,900 miles

Just recently, my Taurus began leaking transmission fluid. I never would of known if not for all the snow in my driveway (I live in Maine). When moving the car for plowing a week ago, I noticed the leak. Car was running fine otherwise. I checked the fluid level and it too was fine. Two days later I noticed it hesitated to go, only doing so around 50-60mph. The next day on my same route to work it had no hesitation.
Now it seems to be leaking more. I've made an appt. With my mechanic but it's not until Tues. 3/5/13. I've stopped driving it for fear of harming the engine. But it's also my only vehicle & we live in the country, 30mins. From town. I don't even dare to take it to work.
I know it's not a lot to go on but hopefully you can steer me in the direction(s) of possibilities that could have gone wrong with the transmission. Please.
I recently put $800+ into this car & I'm tapped. Any help & suggestions you may provide would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Karen

11280511

Low fluid level can cause the internal pump to suck up air instead of fluid. That will prevent the clutch packs from applying solidly resulting in slipping and overheating. That will turn a minor problem into an expensive one real quickly. If the leak is relatively slow, all you have to do is add transmission fluid to keep it full until your mechanic can look at it. There's lots of different kinds of transmission fluid with different additives for different applications. Be sure to get the right fluid for your car.

If you're feeling some slippage now, you can be safe adding an entire quart of fluid. To know exactly how low the system is you'll need to check it with the dipstick. Typically that involves warming the engine up, shifting briefly into every gear, "1", "2", "Drive", "Neutral", "Reverse", and "Park", then wipe off the dipstick, then insert it to get the level. If the procedure is different it will usually be stamped on the end of the dipstick.