DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS STAYING ON.

2002 Ford Taurus • 162,000 miles

Just started a new problem (as if I needed more with the 94 Buick MAF sensor).

After driving the lights will sometimes stay on, and stay on for a long time. The switch doesn't have to be turned to turn the lights on their automatic, and fooling with the switch does nothing.

I can even sometimes take the negative battery cable off, and put it on in 5 minutes and the lights come back on. Had to leave it off all night, in order to get the lights to stay off, without discharging the battery to nothing.

Sometimes the inside lights stay on as well, but not verified. (I wasn't there). There is no switch/scroll wheel on this car, to change the duration of the lights staying on/coming on at night, like my Mercury Sable.
Bravestar1

The lighting timer relay is malfunctioning. It's in the Relay Center box in position #1.

Rivermikerat
Oh no, not that one. That's a $164 part. I looked it up last night at Advance Auto. I'm gonna be in the poor house with these cars. Unless I looked up the wrong part.

Bravestar1
Try a junkyard, especially a pick and pull. Probably less than $5. Plus admission fee. Just check the wiring to the relay center before you choose one. Write down the #s on the one in your car and take that with you so you make sure you get the right one. I don't have a reference that lists what models and years have compatible relays.

Rivermikerat
Bravestar1,

It never rains but it pours.

Before you jump into it, have you checked the autolamp relay? If it sticks, it means the autolamp switch has been bypassed. Check the DRL relay as well.

Mike, I don't see any timer relay in the circuit. It seems the GEM is the one controlling it, underdash.

Thanks for the answer, I usually pay for questions, but this one seemed rather simple.

Bravestar1
You're welcome.

Hope it really is simple and not costly.

Mit1 calls the one I called out the DRL relay, Low.

Rivermikerat
That shouldn't be too expensive. Only the GEM is the expensive one.

DRL relay low. Okay got it. I will see what that is, I'm currently messing around with trying to find a correctly serialed MAF sensor, so fun land USA here.

Bravestar1
Good luck Bravestar. Let us know how everything works out. We'll be here.

Rivermikerat