WONT START

2002 Ford Ranger • 3.0L 3 cylinder RWD Automatic • 148,000 miles

My 2002 ford ranger wont start. It seemed to be running fine yesterday. It was almost empty when I parked it. When I went to turn it on, the lights came on and the radio but it would not turn over. It didn't even make a clicking sound like it was trying to. It was silent. It also showed the " check fuel cap" light and the " check gage light". Could it be possible that it is out of gas? I added about 5L but that didn't help. I'm not sure if that was enough, somewhere in the manual I read that it needs 3 gallons to registered as refueled. The previous owner who sent it to me said that the Fuel cap was slightly broken, hard to get off sometimes and that was why the check engine light stayed on.
Allyssad

So does it crank and not start or no crank no start?

It doesn't crank. Doesn't make any sound at all. But the dash lights, headlights and radio will come on.

Allyssad
Alright do you have a multi meter to do some testing?

I don't sorry, where would I be able to get one?

Allyssad
Harbor freight auto parts store sears etc.