WHY WONT START

2002 Dodge Neon • 130,248 miles

No start situation. When it first wouldn't start I immediately had an Actron Elite hooked up to the car to see if there was a code but it didn't have any. The chk engine light wasn't even on prior to the no start situation.
I was just checking. The fuel pump is motoring up when I turn the key to "on". I can feel that the fuel pump relay is clicking when I turn the
key to "on" as are all the other relays. No fuses are blown. We checked for spark with a spark tester and it is definitely sparking.
The car is cranking over at pretty much the same speed as always. Its not turning noticably faster or slower. When this first happened,
after we checked it with the diagnostic computer, I disconnected the intake gave it a small shot of starter fluid reconnected the intake
and the car started right up. It ran as well as it always has for the next 2 days except that maybe 4 out of the 20 or so times I started
the car during that period it took a little more turning to get it started. I'd say about 3-4 seconds. Other than that it would start almost
immediatly, and always ran well once started. Then after those 2 days it just wouldn't start. Please point me in the right direction.
I'm not a trained mechanic but I'm smart enough to no better than to go replacing parts willy nilly when I don't really know whats going on.
So thats why I need a little guidance, I'm at a dead end on this. Any tips on what I should check out and why would be extremely appreciated.
Any questions you need to ask in order to give advice will be promptly answered. Thanks

Jamextras

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge if its within specs and also for injection pulses -start here