NO START

2002 Dodge Neon • 2WD Automatic •

Hey, guys. Just signed up and was hoping some kind soul could help me get a 2002 Neon ES SOHC 16 valve going again.

Here's a little history on the situation:

Timing belt snapped on the road and bent 4 valves. Removed head, replaced bad ones and lapped all 16 (replaced stem seals also). Tested for valve seat leakage (poured gas in all exhaust/intake ports) and barely a weep from any. Cleaned head and block surfaces, tossed head back on with a new gasket and spark plugs. Lined up the cam and crank pulley arrows dead-on and plugged back in all sensors. Cranked engine but no spark. Re-checked connections and found I accidentally plugged cam position connector into coil pack and vice-versa. Corrected that, and got a lot of sneezes/farts out the intake and exhaust (backfiring) when cranking.

I scanned ECU, got (pending) code p0340 (cam sensor) only. Replaced it, but now am not getting spark at all (code disappeared, however). Unplugged connector to it, and get spark but with accompanying backfiring again.

I checked cam sprocket dowel pin and it was intact and re-confirmed timing marks are aligned. I'm wondering if there's a problem with the crank sensor or PCM, but there weren't any problems with them before the timing belt mishap so I'm a little stumped as to what's up. Though I don't think this matters, I do NOT have the alternator or power steering belts connected.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Seagull369