WATER PUMP

2002 Dodge Intrepid • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 98,000 miles

I had the water pump replaced on a 2002 Dodge Intrepid 2.7; 98,000 miles. The mechanic said the tensioner and timing chain were OK; engine clean no sludge.

After the repair with new pump, thermostat, plugs and oil change. I am getting a tapping/clicking sound from the engine; that was not there before.

I called the mechanic back and he said it was nothing to worry about. The chain just may need to seat with the water pump. He is supposed to be very knowledgeable with this engine; but dosen't sound right to me.

It only seem to start tapping/clicking; after the car has been driven and warms up. I don't want to pay the Dodge dealer $1600 to go back in; if it; s not necessary. Any suggestions? Thanks
Paul 1948

Ask if he reset tenisioner see diagram This will be a belt driven engine according to Mitchel 1 there will be no bed in for a belt drive and the water pump, the click may be lifter noise, I would just want to know the hot engine oil pressure, although a faulty timing belt tensioner can make the belt to flap and this may be a similar noise, the mechanic should re check his work to make sure.

Docfixit
Thanks for the quick reply. When I ask I ask about; replacing the chain, guides, cams and tensioner; he said the old ones were fine and the tensioner was strong.

Paul 1948