DODGE INTREPID GAS PROBLEM

2002 Dodge Intrepid • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 176,705 miles

I have a 2002 dodge intrepid starts right up does not overheat but it stalls out.
Tashara

Do you have a check engine light?

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge if okay-check/test the idle air control motor-start here

Does it stall while you're driving at a steady speed or just at idle? Will it start right back up? Will it stay running if you hold the gas pedal down a little?

Yes I do have a check engine light on. And how do I check fuel pressure? And how do I know if its okay?
It stalls when im driving at a steady speed and it starts back up. And do you mean if its at idle and I press gas pedal does it stay on? If so yes it does.

Tashara
Your description is a little confusing in that it stalls while driving but stays running if you press the gas pedal. When you're driving, does it stall when you take your foot off the gas? If so, it sounds like the battery might have been disconnected or run dead recently. When that happens, the Engine Computer loses its memory and has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. It also might not give you the normal "idle flare-up" to 1500 rpm when you start the engine. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

Okay sorry I had to go outside and do it and make sure and yes when I press the gas when its at idle it cuts off. Also about the battery just bought a brand new one Saturday. So now what do you think it could be?

Tashara
With replacing the battery, you'll have to do that relearn procedure, but there's something else going on if it stalls while you're holding the gas pedal down a little. The place to start for that is by having any diagnostic fault codes read. Many auto parts stores will do that for you for free.

Yes I know that but the point is I dont think my car will make it out there

Tashara