OVER HEATING AND SHUT OFF

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 130,000 miles

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser with about 130,000 miles. Never had a problem with the car since I had it in 2002. The other day the car started to over heat so I got anti freeze from the store, added it and it seemed to run out. I tried it again and it did not seem to do that. I drove it and it started to over heat again. (For the Record, I know nothing about cars) Some one suggested that I put bars-leak in and it should work. I did that and it work for about a two days. They said if it runs low to put water in the radiator and the reserve tank. I did that. As I drove today, it started to over heat and then shut off. After about 5 minutes it started and ran for about 5 blocks and shut off again. I was about to get it started again and get it home, now I do not know what to do or what the problem is, please help. I use this car to take my daughters back and fourth to school and to get back and fourth to work. Thank you
Michaelkw

You started off with a repairable coolant leak and now between the sealer and driving the car too hot, you have manged to turn it into and engine that will likely have to be replaced now. At the very least you would have head and head gasket damage but by the sounds of it, you got it hot enough to ruin the block too.

Wrenchtech
Antifreeze leaking onto ground? If no was exhaust blowing white smoke? If yes check oil look normal or more like a chocolate malt? If yes then headgasket has failed

Docfixit