2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo • 140,000 miles

Well this is more of a transmission question. Question I just recently bought this car an have some lil issues. Like the car only revs up to 4,000 rpm in park and cuts out after that. When driving I hardly hav to push the peddle to keep picking up speed but if I say pass some one and need the power of the car its like I got to stand on the gas to get it to go and then when I get to around 4,000 rpm I hav ro let off the peddle for the car to shift.I know this is not right what is the problom? I thought a gov. At first but it just don't seem to shift right. Plus when I go from park to drive the car just sits. Most cars will begin to role at a slow rate once the brake is let go is this all. Nornle? I don't think it is. Thx u.

Scan for codes and check fuelpressure first, then check vacuum at idle if 15"or below suspect clogged converter.