WHY IS OIL SHOOTING EVERYWHERE?

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier • 99,100 miles

My 02 cavalier is in pretty good running condition, but for the past year now I and other so called mechanics noticed oil that at some point is shooting up, hitting the alternator, then hitting the hood. If the car is sitting still and running, nothing will leak or shoot out. If you step on the gas still nothing. When you look under the car its covering everything. Its all on the side where the serpentine belt is.

When I turn on the AC the car beings to jump in rpm. The AC constantly turns off and on with engine surges, but never turns off when my foot is on the gas going down the road.

I have not noticed any loss in power, nor has the oil level dropped past the ok mark on the dipstick.

Any ideas? Thank You, if you would like some images I'll do my best to get some later on.
Brendanbbaker

When you turn the ac on does the radiator fan come on?Also for the leak I would clean everthing off with brake clean then add oil leak dye run it a little while and use a dye light to trace the oil leak back to its source.

My radiator fan is not spinning and my coolant level has definitely dropped significantly.

As for the oil dye, I'd have to let someone else do that for me right now. I'm not really the person that knows cars well.

Brendanbbaker
Also, to add. The radiator fan always turns on with my ac regardless of the temperature. I've heard of some only kicking on at a certain temperature.

Brendanbbaker
When the radiator fan turns on with the ac is there a lot of air blowing out of it?

Also any coolant leaking on the ground?You said your leaking coolant.

There is no coolant on the ground when the car is off and still. I put a cardboard and the only thing that comes down is oil. The radiator fan does NOT spin at all now, as for the coolant, I have no idea why the car is guzzling it.

Brendanbbaker
Any smoke out the tail pipe?As far as the fan it doesnt come on with the ac anymore?Does the ac even work anymore?

No smoke out the tailpipe and the ac does work. Here's my little list I've made up so far.

1. Radiator Fan does not turn on at all (Use to whenever AC was on)

2. AC turns off and on while stopped and causes rpm to jump creating a tugging sensation while slowing beginning to accelerate.

3. Engine will overheat up to approx 230 (Fans still do not kick in)

4. Coolant levels drop rapidly, but does not show any signs of a leak when cardboard is stuck under the parked car, only oil drips down.

5. Oil levels are ok despite constant loss.

Brendanbbaker
Do you have a multimeter so we can check power and ground into the cooling fan motor?Most likely you have a bad cooling fan motor. Thats most likely causing the ac to cycle and also could be the reason your loosing coolant.

I have a multimeter, but never learned to use them. I got it as a gift and pretty much left it sit. I did look at the wiring, the fan electrical cables merge into a little intersection of other cables behind a plastic housing, I don't want to rip anything apart and lose other vital bits that require the electricity.

Brendanbbaker
Page 1 of 2