CADILLAC SLS TRUNK PROBLEM

2002 Cadillac SLS • 100,000 miles

Whenever I put my 2002 Cadillac sls in drive with the lights on, a red light begins blinking in the reflection of my rear view mirror (it is one of the 3 lights above the inside of the back window). If I drive without the lights on, the red light does not blink. If I have the car in park without the lights on, the light does not blink. What is goin on?

Check the owners manual it will tell u what these lights are. Just trying to help my career ended in 1995.

Cadieman
I didn't see anything about these lights in the manual. But I did notice the reverse light are not coming on.

Pastorjake1
These are monitors for the rear bulbs. Have some1 move the selector from park to low and watch for the rev. Lights to come on. Make sure both brake and parking lights oper.

Cadieman
Thank you cadieman. I saw that the license plate lights don't come on either (ulness you open the trunk, then they come on but go out again when you shut the trunk). If the reverse lights dont come on at all, how do I replace them?

Pastorjake1
The reverse lights are definately going on and off intermittenty. When I unlocked the car, they came on but then when I started it and shifted, they did not comeo on. Right after I turned the car off, I tried unlocking it again and the ights did not come on agian. Bad relay, fuse, or short? Where do I start?

Pastorjake1
First ck. The fuse. If its ok then u will need to check the bulbs and for voltage to the sockets by removing the trunk carpet by the pull down unit. You will see 4 bolts or black thumb screws remove them and the lic. Plate pocket slides right out. The bulbs and sockets are in this pocket.

Cadieman
Thanks cadieman. I checked the fuses, relays (had to buy a new one because I broke it pulling it out), and pulled out every bulb to check them. Then I noticed the lights going on ansd off again while I was doing this. Pulled down the carpet near the back seat side of the trunk and BINGO! 2 black wires with loose splices right near the trunk hinge. Stripped them down and put on new waterproof connectors and everything works fine. Total cost- an hour of my time and a buck and a half for the connectors (plus $13 for the relay I broke).

Pastorjake1
Glad to hear this.U have just traced your first open wire. There should be a plastic cover over the wires there to stop this from happening. Did u use a wire connector crimping tool? U should have used connectors that has the connector and a one inch piece of plastic on each side of the connector.U insert the wire and crimp it then use a lighter to shrink the plastic to the wire. This seals it and protects it from getting wet and from bending and breaking. Gl in life.

Cadieman
I was a bit limited on options due to where I bought the connectors (it was late and the auto parts store was closed- had I known it was a wire I would have picked up the connectors when I got the relay) but I did get some nice waterproof "twist and lock" style. Fortunately, there was enough slack to use these and still be able to gather all the wires together and tape them together. I tested the connetors by pulling on the a bit and it doesn't look like they are going anywhere.

Pastorjake1
Your good then. Pl come back

Cadieman