SERVICE RIDE CONTROL, CODE CO580

2002 Cadillac Escalade • 110,000 miles

What is the part? Is it part of the shocks?
Rogerdp

Test 10-12

Circuit Description
The suspension damper solenoid is driven ON and OFF by the Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) module. To activate the suspension damper solenoid it is initially subjected to full battery voltage for a short period of time. Once the suspension damper solenoid is pulled-in the supply voltage is Pulse Width Modulated (PWM). The amount the suspension damper solenoid valve is activated is based on inputs from the driver Tow/Haul Switch, road inputs, position sensor inputs and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Conditions for Running the DTC
The ESC module performs a test on each suspension damper solenoid during both the ON and OFF states.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

A short to ground in the control circuit of the suspension damper solenoid.
A short to voltage in the control circuit of the suspension damper solenoid.
An open in the control circuit of the suspension damper solenoid.
An open in the solenoid low reference circuit of the suspension damper solenoid.
A short to voltage in the solenoid low reference circuit of the suspension damper solenoid.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The suspension damper solenoid will be disabled.
All suspension damper solenoids will be disabled.
The SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message will be displayed.
Stores a DTC C0575, C0580, C0585 or C0590 in the ESC module memory.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The ESC module no longer detects a problem in the low reference circuit or the control circuit of the suspension damper solenoid.
Using the scan tool.
A history DTC will clear after 100 consecutive ignition cycles if the condition for the malfunction is no longer present.
Diagnostic Aids

Important: Ignition cycle counting is used by the ESC module to detect faults in the system. The objective is to eliminate false/intermittent codes while maintaining an acceptable level of system performance. The operation of the ignition cycle counting requires that a fault condition be present for four consecutive ignition cycles before it will set the fault code and display the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message. If a fault code is present (without a fault being current), the system will go into one or more degraded modes without displaying a message. Resetting the ignition cycle counter is done by clearing codes with a scan tool. Clearing codes will override ignition cycle counting for one ignition cycle. Therefore, a fault condition will set the fault code immediately if it occurs on the first ignition cycle after the codes are cleared.

If DTC C0870 or C0690 is present, repair the malfunction for these DTCs before diagnosing DTC C0575, C0580, C0585 or C0590.
It may be necessary to check Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Checks control circuit/control module.
Tests for low reference circuit of the suspension damper solenoid. The ESC module supplies ground of the suspension damper solenoid.
Verifies that the resistance of the suspension damper solenoid.
Tests the control circuit to the suspension damper solenoid for an open and short to voltage.
Tests the control circuit for a short to ground.
Replace and program the ESC module.

It is not as easy as a part. A code never identifies a bad part, just a failed system.

You need a shop to help you with this.

Roy,
Thanks for the response. I did see a shop-that's how I got the code, but he said the suspension damper "solenoid is inside the front shock absorber so the shocks need to be changed". He quoted $600 ea so that's why I was investigating further, and thus the question if it is in the shock.
Roger

Rogerdp
Yes it is. The price sounds about right if that includes the labor.

I also found some aftermarket shocks that are at least a little less than Cadillac direct - should they work OK with the system?

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/cadillac-suspension/escalade/2002-2006-4-wheel-oem-electric-air-shocks-replacement.php

http://www.cadillac-suspension-parts.com/cadillac/cadillac-escalade-suspension-parts.html

Roger

Rogerdp
Yep, they look ok. They are not oem but will bolt up the same as oem

I guess more specifically - they are electronic shocks, would you expect that they work with the ride control satisfactorily, not just fit mechanically (mounting)?

Rogerdp
Yes, they may not give you the ride quality but thats why the factory ones are a lot more money.

Hello
I have code co580 only
Is this the right front air ride sensor?
Is the sensor the one with the arm connected to the suspension?
Are these repairable?
Thank you

Bhogarty1