CADILLAC EL DORADO DEALER PROBLEM

2002 Cadillac El Dorado • 91,000 miles

Check engine light came on, took to a gm dealer to check it out, code for torque converter lockup came up, estimate for repairs to repair/ replace are$3705.00/$3855.00, is there something to fix this besides redoing the whole transmission. Talked to several tranny shops estimates range from 2k to 2800, one shop won't even work on it, is all for real? This car has been maintained 100%, seems like alot of $ to fix this. Any other options for repair?
Grayghost57

I need the exact code number not code descriptions? Then I can tell you more.

The code was PO741

Grayghost57
So what did the dealer say the reason was for the high repair bill? Did the say that the torque convertor came apart and the debris took out the transmission? Or is the repair bill for just replacing the torque convertor?I need all the details you have?

Dealer said about $1800 in parts and approx.12 hours for labor to repair acording to their book, to replace the tranny was approx $2700for GM reman tranny and about 8 hr labor. They did'nt take anything apart they were just going by the code and past experence the car still operates just fine except for that final lockup

Grayghost57
I found the answer there is a bulletin from gm that says when your car sets a code P0741 that you drive the car and watch with a scan tool for tcc slip etc. If its there to remove and take a part the transmission and do inspections on certian parts and replace them. So it sounds there is a known issue for replacing internal parts when that code sets on your car.

Well it is what it is, thanks for clearing that up for me

Grayghost57
Your welcome thats what were here for.