P2096

2002 BMW X5 • 6 cylinder • 78,000 miles

I bought a new used X5 2002 3.0 with Navi last night, I filled the tank with Super, after driving for 100 miles I got my Serve Engine Soon light, I took it to Autozone to check the light and I got the CODE P2096, any idea why? The dude from Autozone told me it could be because you change the Gas type, is that true?
AngeloX5

Problem indicates a fault with the Rear O2 sensor or its circuit. It is possible the gas change had caused the problem but O2 sensors tends to fail over time so it could also be coincidence that it occurred.

Thanks for ur reply, I cleared it last night, and I have been driving almost for 40 miles, and no light appeared again, do you think it would come backup? I called the dealer they told me it isnt a big deal and its probably the cap or I filled the car while its running, do you thin that could cause it? Or they are PS'ing me?

AngeloX5
Yes, a loose fuel cap can trigger trouble codes but it should no tbe the one listed.

Trouble codes with O2 sensors can be intermittent and it might come back but as the dealer mentioned, this fault code is nothing serious so you need not be too worried about it.