RIDE QUALITY

2002 BMW 325i • 52,000 miles

I have a 2002 BMW 325 I with 52K miles that has been well cared-for. Almost since the time of purchase I have experienced an issue. When you come to a stop, there is an audible "thump" and the car rocks back and forth. This occurs in all stopping scenarios (rolling stop, gentle stop, panic stop). Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Please respond to cliffharvison@comcast. Net

Cliffh

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.