VOLVO S60 CATALYTIC CONVERTER PROBLEM

2001 Volvo S60 • 5 cylinder FWD Automatic • 180,000 miles

Hi my car has been acting like it's not running on all cylinders. It has a really rough idle when I start it like it's about to die. Then doesn't run right until it warms up. I had it scanned at a few places and the code came back for output shaft speed sensor no signal. My speedometer works fine and the transmission shifts normal. I am just worried that replacing this part won't solve the problem.
Roya

Call your nearest Volvo dealership and ask if they are participating with the Volvo Service For Life. If they are, at minimum you will get a print out of the ECM codes with freeze frame data. With generic scanners some fault codes will not pop up. This way you can have a better list. Post the fault codes on here so I can get a better idea of what is going on. Maybe Volvo will tell the problem right then and there what needs to be done?

Let me know what happens?

JIS001
I ended up having it read at a local mechanic with a high scale diagnostic scanner. The codes came up for random cylinder misfire again. So I had the coils tested and the 5th one was bad. It has been replaced then I flushed the induction system fuel system with sea foam because it was still idling rough. It was acting bad for a while but after everything was burned out it seems to run smoothly now with more horsepower. I won't know for sure until it sits for a while to see if the problem is fixed. If not, the catalytic converter is next.

Roya