ALTERNATOR WORKSHOP!

2001 Volkswagen Jetta • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 106,000 miles

I have a vw jetta glx vr6 2001. I started it today battery light on squeeling noise and then alternator workshop! Appeared on dash. Car felt like power steering had went and car was idling. Applied foot to gas pedal and as soon as it was over30mph all that dissapeared except check engine light. When it got to 30mph again, the squeeling started again what do I do?
Kt3737

Sounds like one of the belt driven pulleys is seizeing up or maybe the alternator itself, causing the low voltage, the engine light probaly came on because of the low voltage, the best thing to do would be remove the belt and hand spin each compontent (alt, idler pulleys, etc) and see if one is seizeing, falling apart, or noisey.

PROTECH1980
Thanks. I also have another problem dont know if it stems from first problem or not, but the sound of my blinker keeps blinking after iam done and no longer using my turn signal. Turn signal and hazard lights are connected tried to just disable sound but it disables blinkers and hazard lights all together not sure what to do

Kt3737
Could have a sticking blinker flasher/relay, but not related to current issue with belt noise.

PROTECH1980
Pulley isnt all there on the outside. Belt hasnt moved out of the grooves though, but it looks cracked so I need to replace the pulley, the belt, and here's another question for you Ive been reading that there's a cheaper belt that will work for awhile that has a certain amount of grooves in it, and that it is better to buy the more expensive one which apparently has one rib less then these ones do. How many ribs should my belt have? Also should I replace the bearing?

Kt3737