HOW DO I GET MY REV COUNTER WORKING?

2001 Vauxhall Corsa • 79,000 miles

On my way back from bridlington I noticed that my rev counter had stopped working. Even though the counter didn`t work, my car ran ok.
Wood66

Our database does not have any information on your vehicle so I do not have the wiring schematics and the system used.

There are 3 possibilities.

1. Faulty ignition coi for rpm circuit. If equipped. If it is from the PCM, then you could have a fault there.

2. Wiring fault. A wire could be loose and not providing the signal to the gauge.

3. Faulty gauge. I have seen many such cases for othere makes whereby the gauge might come alive again later. If so, a circuit in the instrument cluster for the rpm is bad due to cracked solders. It could also be due to a loose wire connector behind the instrument cluster.

Don t know if it helps but the car took longer than normal to start. Turned the key to start and kept it there at lot longer than normal. Did think it wouldn t at one point but thanfully it did.

Wood66
That could indicate a failing ignition coil but then again it could also be due to other causes such as fuel pressure etc.

If the MIL had indicated, get a scan done to check for trouble codes. It might tell us something.