TOYOTA COROLLA ENGINE PROBLEM

2001 Toyota Corolla • 160,000 miles

IC valve?
Brought car in with small idle problem(sometimes idle a little high at stops or just before stopping) and possible oil gasket problem that oil change guy suggested.
Mechanic said I need new engine.
After long deliberation I decided to get another opinion because I was so shocked at his diagnosis.
Picked up car from first mechanic and drove it to second opinion. Immediately after leaving lot, car started smoking from back end. White smoke. Lots and lots. Temp went up& up& up. It's a miracle I made it to the second mechanic.
Second guy said ic valve was on backwards and sucked all water out of engine. I now have a new engine.
What do you think? How'd IC valve get backwards? How did my car go from small idle issue and check up to totally blowing up engine?
Nicolejeray

Please define IC valve?

Idle control

Nicolejeray
Idle control will not draw coolant.

You have other issues with the cooling system. Did they check it for you to define the failure?