I HAVE A GT 5 SPEED MANUEL AND MY TRANSMISSION NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. I JUST REPLACED IT WITH A USED TRANSMISSION.

2001 Toyota Celica • 23,500 miles

I just replaced my transmission 2 years ago (40,000 miles). And it has already failed. I took it to a transmission specialist and he said he can put in a rebuilt transmission for $2,200 or a used transmission with approximately 100,000 miles on it for $2,400. Which would be the best way to go? Should I just get a new car? I dont want to put alot of money into it if it isnt going to last very long and my car is old with a lot of mileage. And would I be able to sell my car for anything if the transmission is bad? Thanks.
Jenny tayla

What is the reason the transmission is failing so fast? Under normal circumstances, the transmission, especially manual, should last longer than the engine. I would prefer to have transmission rebuilt rather than have a used one but if you are going to replace the trans every 2 years, something must be wrong.

As to how much the car is worth, it depands on other things and present value. You won't be getting much if the trans is bad.

Well I think the place I took it to and got the used transmission 2 years ago was not good. I asked the guy why it only lasted 2 years and his reply was the type of transmission in my car doesnt last very long and he didnt know how many miles were on it. Im a girl and I dont know much about cars and I think he took advantage of me. Anyways I took it to a transmission specialist and he said it would be better to rebuild. I just dont know what to do.

Jenny tayla
My car is in good condition other than the transmition. I dont want to just end up losing it with no profit.

Jenny tayla
Manual transmission do not have any electrical controls and only thing that can result in them going bad would be lack of lubricants, usually when trans oil leaks and trans runs dry.

If you are taking to the same mechainc, I guess you would need to be looking for a new one, this guy does not seem to know what he is doing or is not an honest one.

Bt what are your present issues that is deemed to require a rebuild or replacement of the trans?

Yes I dont think he was a good mechanic because I take my car there for oil change routinely. The other day I got in my car and tried to reverse and it wouldnt go and was grinding. I got it into gear and it was tough changing gears and was making a noise just out of the blue. I towed my car home and was looking under the hood. I checked the oil and it was 2 quarts low which is odd because I still have 50 miles til my next oil change. I took it back to the mechanic and he said I needed another transmission. I was furious I just paid him 2500 2 yearago he said celica transmisssions dont last very long. Well the original lasted 200,000 miles. He is a crook I told him to give me my car and left. I got 2 other opinions and they both said the transmission needed replacement. It his burnt and there is metal in it is what one guy told me. I think the auto shop I was going to completely screwed up. Can I report them?

Jenny tayla
More likely you jave a clutch problem rather than a transmission and this should be the last you see of him. Get a second opinion.

To clarify this, when you mentioned getting in reverse and not working, were you able to get in gear and not moving while grinding or you were NOT able to get into reverse due to the grinding? That makes a difference.
Does any other speed of the trans show any abnormalities?

As to low engine oil level, it does not mean that the level should maintain till the next oil change. After a certain age or mileage engines tends to consume some oil and you should make it a point to check it at least 2 times in between oil changes.

There is nothing much you can do about reporting them as they have not done anything now. A little filling of metal is expected to be stuck to the drain plug magnet and nothing to worry if you do not have any abnormal noises while driving.

It was a struggle to get it in reverse and first. After I added oil I figured that was the solution or hoped and drove my car to work the next day it drove fine untill I hit the last redlight I couldnt get it in first gear. I turned my car off and and and struggled till I got it in. Later when I drove home no problems at all. Then when I drove to the mechanics it acted again. Later when I took my car to a new mechanic right when I got to the shop I couldnt change gears at all. I dont think it is even driveable. I have gotten 2 other opinions and they said its the transmission. I dont know who to trust or what to do? Yes I will never go back to that mechanic again.

Jenny tayla
Also when I would get into gear it would pop out.

Jenny tayla
If the gears are popping out, that is not good news, likely to be transmission internal fault. If it is only struggling to to engage, it could be the clutch that is faulty.

With engine off, were you able to shift into each gear correctly without problem? Is the pedal pressure felt when pedal is high or only when it is low?