TOYOTA AVALON OIL PUMP PROBLEM

2001 Toyota Avalon • 183,000 miles

Hi first oil light come on and car died and restart drove home next day start hear engine sound like eeeeee warm up go away and sound came from oil pump area change oil pump drive two less 70 mil and then I replace valve cover gasket finish and start sound come back again and drive 3 mil oil light come on and I do oil pressure test start car is 60 psi and going down after car warm up is around 5 psi and I let, s run 10 min put more gas pressure go down to 1 psi and don, t go back to 5 psi and the valve start making noise is that fail oil pump
Kamonevong

If you checked it with a mechanical pump and that is the result, it sounds like a bad pump.

But is a new pump that mean I have to get the new pump like

Kamonevong
I would recommend checking the oil pump. That would be my first guess based on your description. Other than that, you could have a worn out engine (bearings) that could cause the pressure to be low or even the pick-up tube on the oil pump could be plugged.

You mean take out the oil pump

Kamonevong
If you have no pressure, you have to.

If the oil pump bad what is a good brand to buy?

Kamonevong
I always try to stay with OEM parts.

I THINK J and N MEANT IN THE BEGINNING TO CHECK PRESSURE WITH A MECHANICAL GAUGE---SCREWED INTO THE HOLE THE SENDER IS IN NOW

(NOT CHECK IT WITH A "MECHANICAL PUMP" AS HE MISTAKENLY SAID)

I GOT MINE ON A PLASTIC TUBE----I CAN RUN IT UNDER THE HOOD OR THRU A HOLE IN MY FIREWALL

YOU CAN BUY A "UNDER DASH" UNIT AND USE IT TEMPORARY LIKE MINE----OR YOU COULD MOUNT IT PERMANENTLY (IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE--PICK OUT ONE YOU LIKE IT'S LOOKS!)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_style-line-mechanical-oil-pressure-gauge--white-dial-sunpro_9030005-p?searchTerm=oil+pressure+gauge

THE ONE ABOVE COMES W/ TUBINGMORE BELOW

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&langId=-1&searchTerm=oil+pressure+gauge&vehicleIdSearch=11140&searchedFrom=header

PIC OF MINE AT BOTTOM

YOUR TURN

Yet that is I used screw in the oil sensor hold is read 60 psi from start and going down to 5 psi at idle about 10-15 min only when I raise up the rpm the pressure go down to 1 psi not up and stay there below 2 psi is look like a bad pump I just bought from the toyota dealer to replace it the old one

Kamonevong
Now I try 20/50 oil in the engine look like have pressure 50psi and eng warm up hold at 25 psi the car sound nice when I do the test drive I hear the like knocking but not lound and when slow down sound go away so do you thing is the main bearing need to replace

Kamonevong
Page 1 of 3