NOISE

2001 Suzuki Esteem • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 160,000 miles

Tough one. 2001 Suzuki Esteem Wagon with 160k. No problems at all for ten years. Intermittent "Eek eek eek" sound when I let off the gas. Came on over the last week or so. Replaced brake pads. Still there, occasionally as before, sometimes quite loud. Any speed, but only when I let off the gas. Took off wheel and took off brake pads - everything looked fine. Wheel hubs not warm. Car feels normal while driving. At Midas we went for test drive, of course the car was quiet as a mouse. They put it on the hoist and looked around but couldn't find anything serious - possible loose plastic shield underneath. It had caused a thunking sound a year ago and they had put on a hose clamp to keep it still. Next day sound is back "eek eek eek" as before, sometimes quite loud. Loud enough so that I rented a car to get to work.
I'm stumped.
Andysmyth

Check the backing plate behind the rotor to make sure it isn't bent or rusted and touching the rotor. Also, make sure the brake sensor isn't bent and toughing the rotor.