THIS IS FOR SATURNTECH9

2001 Saturn SL1 • 206,000 miles

Sorry for the confusion.

I started having idling and running issues recently. I could get it started right away, but if I shut it off and tried to start it again it would take a while. I found on this forum you had mentioned on many topics that the coolant temperature sensor is common to go out. I decided to replace that AND my valve cover gasket at the same time. After I replaced both, original issues are done. Although it is now kicking 2 codes a P0172 Too rich code and P0410 secondary air injector code. This evening I had to replace the valve cover gasket because the original permatex was not beaded well, so I have that put back on, and I replaced both hoses going to the valve cover. What I am wondering is, I will start the car tomorrow night and see if these codes come back. But if they do, what else can it be? Also I noticed this evening when I was checking lines and everything that there is a sensor that screws into the air filter housing under the front of the car by the front. Looks like another Coolant temperature sensor but that looks corroded. Is this a temp sensor also or what is it called and can it cause one or both codes? These codes never came on until after I replaced the temp sensor and the valve cover gasket so I am confused. I have replace the valve cover gasket before and there is nothing to it, so I am wondering why these codes kick on. When I run the car it shifts smoothly, but if I am at a speed for a while. Say 50 and I decide to slowly go to 55-60, sometimes the car now acts like it is gasping for air? Odd for me. I dont know. Any help is great. So far these are what I have replaced recently. Plugs/Wires, temp sensor, air filter, and fuel filter
Jf781981

So when you replaced the coolant temp sensor you inspected the inside of the connector for the terminals being blue or green instead of silver?Also when you do a cold start can you hear the air injection pump come on for a short time and then shut off?Do you have a scan tool that can read live engine data?The sensor you are asking about in the air box is the air inlet temp sensor its the exact same sensor as the coolant temp sensor. It doesnt have anything to do with ethier code you have. Do you have a hand vacuum pump to help diagnose the P0420 code?So the engine runs good now except the engine gaspes for air at about 50 mph when stepping on the gas?Also did you keep your old coolant temp sensor?Did you make sure you routed the spark plug wires from the coils to the spark plugs correctly?Also what not type of spark plugs did you install not platnium plugs I hope?Heres what I recomend for your valve cover gasket get the felpro pre molded rubber gasket they work perfect I have used then before. All you do is scrape out all the old silicone and install it.

Yes I did, although I went ahead and replaced it anyways today. As for the pump, yes it kicks on and runs for a little bit then shuts off. I have a scan tool but not live data. I do not have a hand vaccuum tool dont have a clue what that is. I did not keep the old sensor, when I replaced it the car ran 1000 times better. As for spark plugs no issues there, whenever I replace them I only do one at a time so I dont have to mess with checking firing order. I dont remember the kind of spark plugs honestly. And for the gasket, ive already done the kit stuff I bought, no autopart store had it near me and would have been days. Trust me id rather have the molded one. NOW FOR THE FUN PART WHICH MAKES ME WANT TO BLOW UP THE CAR. Since I replaced the cooling sensor plug this evening now I have a damn P0112 code. I have taken it apart and re spliced several times with no luck removing the code. Also I replaced that air inlet temp sensor with a bone yard one this evening. With it being corroded, I didnt want to keep it much longer. I dont know what to do anymore, I keep fixing one code and another pops up. Any ideas?

Jf781981
You need to take the plugs out and see if there platnuim plugs if they are replace them with stock copper plugs. The platnuim plugs carbon foul in the those engines. Also make sure all the spark plug gaps are set at. 040" like there supposed to be.I will look into the code P0112 and get you a touble tree.A scanner that reads live data on that car is only about 50 on amazon.

OK THIS IS WHAT IS GOING ON NOW. I replaced the sensors with brand new ones. The P0112 code is gone and at the moment the secondary air code is gone too. Back to the air too rich code P0172. Gaps are at.40 like they are supposed to be. BUT just finally found my receipt and I see I bought bosch platinum plus spark plugs. Wont have money to get those replaced til friday. Would the spark plugs cause the rich air code?

Jf781981
Was also just thinking and wondering/ one the fuel filer how you have the one line on one side and 2 lines on the other side. If the two lines were accidently on the wrong posts, would that cause that sensor to go off? I have changed a lot of filters on vehicles but this is the first time I had a filter like this, trying to figure out if I might have put the lines on the wrong posts. What do you think?

Jf781981
The hoses are different lengths it would be hard to mix the two hoses up and if memory serves correct there different sizes. If you did mix them up it wont run or run well at all. Those bosch platnuim are bad news for those engines how many miles have you had those plugs in for?

Miles I dont know been in for a few weeks I will be able to get different ones tomorrow. Any chance those are what is throwing the code?

Jf781981
Its possible they could be but I think they would throw missfire codes first.I would stick with the ngk copper plugs like the car came with.

Replaced plugs today went to autozone and argued with them. They claim copper did not comew ith those cars BUT gave me copper and I gave them the old ones. Still throwing the 2 codes. Im clueless trying to figure it out. Still getting secondary air injecter and air too rich code. Any other ideas. So now I finally have the correct plugs in the car

Jf781981
The S model saturns never came factory with platnuim plugs so I wonder where they got there info from. Saturn didnt start using platnuim plugs till there L model saturns. To diagnose your code P0420 were going to need a hand vacuum pump. Have you checked your fuel pressure at idle yet?If so what is the fuel pressure reading?