FRONT STRUT MOUNT BROKEN

2001 Saturn L300 • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 276,000 miles

I've got a 2001 Saturn L300, 6 cylinder sedan. The front upper strut mount is broken. I've got the replacement mount kit and have the entire strut sitting in the shop vise with the spring compressed and all the old parts removed and ready for reassembly. My problem is that the old mount was pretty much destroyed so I can't tell for sure how it was oriented when on the strut. The metal 'cap' for the mount has an angle to it and I can't tell how to orient the new mount. The Haynes manual only says to install the mount but doesn't say anything about sitting it an a specific angle, and I've run searches but not having any luck there either. Tried looking at the other front strut but the mount's up in a deep well and not easily visible. Any suggestions on how to line this all up correctly, or does it even matter? Thanks in advance!
Logan3

It does not matter where it is seated as long as the lower part of the spring is seated correctly on the strut.

Great, thanks! I've got the spring seated up against the stop in the lower part of the mount, so we're good there.

Logan3
Installation
1. Attach strut onto vehicle body with strut stop and strut-to-body NEW nut. Tighten to specification. Attach strut onto steering knuckle using NEW fasteners. Tighten to specification.

To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Tighten all fasteners to specification. Check front wheel alignment.