MY CAR WON'T START

2001 SAAB 9-5 • 175,000 miles

Here is my problem, Every time I try turning the car on, the key moves all the way to the starting position but the car won't statr, it is dead, no lights on dashboard or the information unit or the climate control panel, there is no power at all, all I hear is the fans on the radiator turning on, and a one click bihind the dashbord, yesterday I tried to start the car manny times but it would not start, finally around 4 Pm I put the key in turn it to on and the car started right up, I was able to drive it around the block I came back, parked the car and started many times over with no problem, now the car is repeating the same thing, I am stranded again, do you thing I need a new switch, the electronic part or do I need the whole unit including the key part?
Lowapr@ptd.net

Check fuses in underhood fuse box and interiorfus box on lh side of dash. Then take a 12 v teste light andsee if you are getting power to the starter. If not go back to the relay and see if power is coming there. My bet is you have a bad starter. Or if you can reach the starter body, have someone try to start the car and hit the body with a hammer. If it starts then the starter is bad.

Even tho there is no lights on my dashboard you still think it could be the starter? Sometimes the swicht gets stuck in an on Possition, and I ghave to go back and mess with it, It almost seem to me like there is no power going from the switch to the system, I am not a mechanich I am just lost.

Lowapr@ptd.net
Then taek it to a pro and have him fix it. And yes it cold be the ignitionn switch but the directions I gave you sholdlet you know or not.

U need to replace just the electrical part of the ignition switch, good luck.

Mnthny4
Thank you for all your help guys, I finally figured out what was wrong, It sound it like the starter was the problem, but the key was the there were no lights on the daashboar, so I though the car was acting like it was dead, so possible things could be the passivi alarm, so I cahnged the batteries in the alarm unit, and that was my problem, the alarm was not reciving signal from the key so the unit thought the wrong key was inserted and kill the the starting system, Changing the batteries in the alarm unit is a crazy job + finding them was a task, for my car 2001 saab 95 v-6 turbo the replacement batteries in the USA are cr 123 and cr123a Thank you guys.

Lowapr@ptd.net