RADIATOR

2001 Proton Other • 2WD Manual • 98 miles

My heater went from hot air to cool air blowing looked at the rad and the warter brown its only just happened last night will draining it & putting new anti-freeze be ok or could there be other damage? At first I was thinkig it was the stat the car my partners she only had the car 2 months or so its a proton satria gti 2001
Taylor_lucy1

Possible causes for the problem are : 1. Faulty thermostat.
2. Clogged heater core.
3. Heater valve ( if equipped)
4. Lack of coolant.

You need to check all the above. Flushing the radiator and heater core would be recommended as you mentioned the coolant being dirty.

Thanks I will have alook also would that course the car to idle high it goes from lust below 1000 to 1500 to 2000 up & down it all happened at the same time thanks for your help.

Taylor_lucy1
If the ISC system used is equipped with coolant hoses, lack of coolant would cause that. The other would be a faulty Idle Solenoid Control motor.

If the idling speed is adjusted out of specs, it would surge. Check for vacuum leakages.