IGNITION SWITCH REMOVAL

2001 Pontiac Grand Am • 2.4L 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 102,000 miles

I have the switch removed from the dash and electrical connectors removed but cant get the interlock cable to release from the rear of the switch? The manual says to push the release tab and the cable will release when this is done the cable slides out about an 1/8 inch but seems as if something else is holding it? I should add the reason for replacement is the key would no longer turn from the off position.
Lem1223

You do not have to remove instrument panel cluster. Remove center bevel cover and remove radio ( 4 9/32 bolts), pop cover off ignition switch with small screwdriver and unbolt two 10 mm bolt from switch and push it back and out towards the radio opening, release lock cable from back of switch with small screwdriver, release both elect connectors and pull through radio opening.

We have done all of that, but the cable will not release when the tab is pressed.

Lem1223
You have to keep fiddling with it to make it work then if you have ahose removal tool looks like a bent screwdriver only with a point use that to push in tab. Some of these aren't reasy.