TEMPERATURE GUAGE PROBLEM

2001 Mitsubishi Galant • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 78,000 miles

When I am driving the temperature gauge is in normal position, but when I stop, it goes up. When I start driving again, the temperature goes back to normal. What is the problem and solution to this situation?
Mpae100

Radiator fan is not working?

Fixitmr
Low coolant in radiator can cause the symptom as well. Check the radiator fan and coolant level.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I did buy coolant and filled both the radiator and coolant reserve tank. I'm guessing the levels were not so low since I didn't even use half the jug of coolant I bought. I guess it would have to be the radiator fan.

I went to an auto shop for a diagnosis and the mechanic said I needed a new water pump since it was cracked. But I find this hard to believe since the engine temperature goes back to normal when I drive and only goes up when I stop.

Mpae100
Get another opinion from diff shop?

Fixitmr
When coolant level is low, during idling the water pump would not be circulating the coolant fast and upper end of engine would be hot. That is when the temperature would show hot. As you move along, the engine rpm increases and this would work the water pump faster resulting in the temperature lowering. If you have coolant losses, the water pump could be one of the components leaking.