MAZDA 626 IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM

2001 Mazda 626 • 126,478 miles

When I turn key to on position the car tries to start. I don't even have to turn the key all the way just turn it to the on position to car tries to start sometimes it'll start sometimes it won't when it doesn't start it starts to get some starts getting hot I smell electrical fire and I see smoke coming from underneath the hood in from the dash area is there something I'm unsure I'm thinking possibly mission switch but mission switch to very expensive and don't want to exchange if it's not the problem the battery seems good to starter seems good for remote start car starts just fine
Cechowskie@yahoo.com

Do you have a multi meter or test light to do some testing?

Yes I do where should I start

Expose the igition switch wires and while its trying to start in the run position see if the green wire from the ignition switch has battery voltage?

As you can see from the wire diagram I posted if the green wire has power to it in the run positon you have a shorted out ignition switch.

Okay green wire has power in on position

So this mean change ignition switch

From what i see you have a bad ignition switch because the green wire should only have power in the start position.Also the green wire gets power thru the switch so looks like the run position is shorted to the start position.Have you checked http://www.rockauto.com?You might be able to save some money getting it there.