STARTING PROBLEM

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 143,578 miles

We put the key in the ignition(we have two keys) and it feels as if we are forcing it to start. The keys just fall out after we start as if it's not catching all the pins inside. It starts 98% of the time but the dash lights, radio and speedometer don't come on. Also the brake light and ABS come on. Then when we start driving the transmission takes a long time to shift and sometimes the gears grind when changing gears when we go from park to reverse and so on. I checked the fuses I could and there're all fine. Is the the starter or ignition switch or an electrical problem?
Janjera32

SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT HAVE MULTIPLE ISSUES

THE "KEY THING" SOUNDS LIKE THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED (KEYS FALLING OUT)

. AND MAYBE THE IGNITION SWITCH ACTUATOR (WHOSE HOUSING IS MADE OF PLASTIC. PROBABLY FALLING APART)

. IT'S ALSO POSSIBLE THE ACTUAL IGNITION SWITCH COULD BE IN THE MIX TOO

ARE YOU GONNA DIY THIS PUPPY?

DO YOU HAVE A REPAIR MANUAL?

I MAY BE ABLE TO GET YOU SOME DIAGRAMS

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH "ME" GETTING E-MAIL NOTIFICATIONS, I HOPE THEY GET IT FIXED. OTHERWISE I WILL NOT KNOW IF. ANY. OF THE MANY. HAVE RESPONDED TO ME. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR DAYS

YOUR TURN (GOOD LUCK)

Based on your description, it sounds like the ignition switch itself is going bad and causing the issues. The switch is located on the steering column (about 2/3rds of the way down). There is a steel linkage rod that goes between the tumbler (where the key goes) and the switch. As far as it being tight to turn, try to lube the tumbler to see if that helps. A special graphite grease is made for key tumblers and you can get it at most parts stores.