REAR AXLE SEAL AND BEARING

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee • V8 4WD Automatic •

I need to know how to replace a rear axle seal and bearing on a 2001 jeep grand cherokee limited. Can not bring to shop for the third time. Please help.
Angelscothhh

Do you have access to a hydraulic press to remove the bearing? Has this been done by a work shop and it is still faulty? If so they should warranty there work.

Mhpautos
No I dont think so. My husband will be doing it. Have brought it in 3 times in 5 years and just cant afford to bring it in again. Hes worried about if he has to remove gas tank to do it and just how exactly to do it. He has worked on cars all his life but is unsure about the jeep.

Angelscothhh
AXLE SHAFTS
REMOVAL

1. Place transmission in neutral.
2. Raise and support vehicle.
3. Remove wheel and tire assembly.
4. Remove brake caliper and rotor.
5. Remove nuts holding axle retainer plate to axle tube from the rear of the axle flange.
6. Pull axle shaft from the axle with Slide Hammer 7420 and Adapter 6790. Mount the adapter to the axle with lug nuts.

NOTE: It is normal that the axle bearing race is loose in the axle tube.

INSTALLATION

1. Install axle into the axle tube with the flat area of the retainer plate upward.
2. Insert retaining plate studs into the brake backing plate and axle tube flange.
3. Install retainer nuts and tighten nuts to 61 Nm (45 ft. Lbs.).
4. Install the brake caliper and rotor.
5. Install wheel and tire.
6. Check and fill the differential with gear lubricant.
7. Lower vehicle.

AXLE BEARINGS/SEALS
REMOVAL

1. Remove axle shaft from vehicle.

2. Drill a shallow hole into soft steel axle bearing retaining ring with a 3/8 inch drill bit (Fig. 26). Use a drill depth stop to avoid marking the axle.

3. With a cold chisel cut the retaining ring across drilled hole. (Fig. 27)
4. Slide retaining ring from axle shaft.

5. Remove axle bearing from the shaft with, a press and Splitter 1130 placed between the seal and bearing (Fig. 28).
6. Remove seal from axle.
7. Remove retaining plate from axle shaft.

INSTALLATION

1. Verify axle shaft retaining plate is flat with a straight edge.

NOTE: If the plate is warped or the studs are loose in the plate replace the retaining plate.

2. Install retaining plate on the axle shaft (Fig. 29).
3. Apply a coat of multi-purpose grease on sealing surface of axle seal.
4. Install seal on the axle shaft with cavity away from retaining plate (Fig. 29).
5. Lubricate bearing with Mopar(R) Wheel Bearing Grease or equivalent. Wipe excess grease from the bearing.

6. Install bearing on the axle shaft with Installer 7913 and a press (Fig. 30).

7. Press soft metal retaining ring onto axle shaft with Installer 7913 and a press (Fig. 31).
8. Install axle in vehicle.

Wrenchtech
Ok. Thank you very very much. I appreciate it alot. Have a wonderful day and thanks again!

Angelscothhh
I seriously doubt that he is going to be equipped to do this himself.

Wrenchtech
His buddy has alot of tools. All he does is work on vehicles and stuff. I am sure and hopeful that they can get it done. We will see but it was nice to get the info to know for sure what to do. Thanks again. I will have him look at this when he gets home and if he has questions I will have him write. Thanks

Angelscothhh
You can always just send the axle to a work shop to do the bearing change, and do the rest at home.

Mhpautos
So does he have to take the differential cover off to get to the retainer plate? Which means take the gas tank out? Like a chevy truck.

Angelscothhh
No, this one is all done from the wheel end. The big problem is that the bearings are pressed onto the axle and will require a hydraulic press to get them off and the new ones on.

Wrenchtech
Ok. I will let him know. He will be home late but sure he will have questions. Thanks

Angelscothhh