CRUISE & CHECK TRANS LIGHT, TRIED ALL SUGGESTIONS! HELP PLEASE..

2001 Isuzu Rodeo • 160,000 miles

Started out with the Cruise and Check Trans lights coming on with a stutter. Got an O2 sensor code on it and when we looked at them, we found a leak in transmission fluid. Mechanic fixed that, but problem just keeps getting worse. We have checked all the wiring we can find. Replaced the connectors and wiring for the alternator (which was checked and is working properly). We have changed the plugs (a fix that was popular on threads), replaced the Neutral Safety Switch (which was filled with transmission fluid and crappy looking. Have pulled apart dash and checked wires and connections. We read that there is a cruise control "fuse" inside the dash, but can not find it and other threads say there is no fuse for it, only the cruise control module, which we checked the wires to. Mechanic said it MIGHT be the transmission Selector Switch, but maybe not. Cant afford to drop another $200 in repairs that we have no clue whether it will fix the problem or not.

It started only doing this when the car was cold. Then it escalated to anytime. Now its completely down. It starts good the first time, then if you put it into reverse (warm or cold) it dies immediately. If you put it in drive, SOMETIMES you can go a little ways (a few feet to a hundred feet or so) before it chokes up, the lights come on and it dies.

1. Is the "Neutral Safety Switch" the same thing as the Transmission's "Selector Switch"?
2. Any suggestions?
Toni689

Oh and there is no problem with the dash board indicators compared with where the shift selector is. All lights properly indicate where the gear shifter is currently positioned.

Toni689
The neutral safety and selector are different. Is the check engine light coming on? Has your mechanic checked the VSS?

The check engine light came on shortly after I bought it (lot buy) and the code came back EGR valve. The dealer shipped us a new one which we put in, then cleared the code. The code came back within a day or two, still saying EGR valve and has been on since.

VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor?

Toni689
I bought it a little over 2 years ago, it had 100k on it. The first year I had it, I put about 42k highway miles on it.

Toni689
Yes to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). The EGR issue, have you checked to make sure there is no carbon build up where it is mounted? Have you checked to make sure the valve is free and the vacuum to it is good?

We have not checked the VSS, will try that.
There is no carbon build up, but Im not sure if the vacuum on it was checked.

Toni689