HYUNDAI TIBURON TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2001 Hyundai Tiburon • 87,500 miles

I had a leak from the transmission and while the repair shop was fixing that, the discovered that a plastic retainer inside a bearing race (differential bearing) was broken. They ordered that new bearing and when the removed the "differential bearing retaining cap" (their description, not mine, although it seems right) it came apart in two pieces( it's supposed to be one solid piece ) upon searching for a part number they discovered that none of the maintenance diagrams show this broken piece and that it doesn't have a part number. Contacting local hyundai dealers (perhaps because of a lack of patience or language barriers) they haven't been able to locate a replacement part ( number unknown) and have said that for the need of this piece, I'll have to buy a whole transmission to replace mine! OUCH, for what is probably a $20-50 at most, part, I have to spend $1800 for another transmission? Please help me locate this part or the part number so I don't have to buy a new transmission. I have images of the part, it's a pretty clean break and when put together it looks like a recognizable piece.
Jimgant

There is no part number for the bearing cap. It is only service with the case. Thats why you need a trans.

I suggest a juk yard for a case or a trans shop for a case. It may be cheaper than buying a new unit

I STARTED LOOKIN'

HARD TO DO WITHOUT THE "EXACT #s FOR THE TYPE TRANNY YOU HAVE

HECK......I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF ITS A "MANUAL" OR AN "AUTOMATIC"

THIS IS AS FAR AS I GOT

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/Mitsubishi.html

I realized after posting the question that I had forgotten to say that it's an AUTOMATIC. WHAT NUMBER DO YOU NEED? I can get it from my mechanic first thing Monday morning.

Jimgant
The case number will help us but there is no number for the bearing cap.

Also, get us the production date of the car

Would the VIN HELP? Or other parts numbers from the bearing for example?

Jimgant
Is the production date located on the title or a sticker on the car somewhere?

Jimgant
Looks like the case number on the diagram, exploded view the gave me as a ref. Is 45240.

Jimgant
Also, they said that the "last 8" numbers on the VIN were important, they are. 1U223096. Does that help?

Jimgant
No vin, date is on drivers door post. Number of case is on the trans