SQUEALING NOISE WHEN A/C IS TURNED ON

2001 Honda CRV • 145,000 miles

I have a 2001 Honda CRV EX. Right now the weather here is 115 with the heat index. While I was on the highway I turned my A/C on, and a couple of minutes later my car jerked and I started hearing a squealing noise. My A/C stopped pushing out cold air, and I started to smell kind of a burning rubber smell. I turned my A/C off, and the noise stopped and the smell went away. I got home, and pulled in the driveway. I turned the A/C back on, and the squealing started right up along with that smell. I noticed also the rpms on my car got super low and started bouncing around. I looked at my belts, and so far I haven't seen a broken belt. I don't know if I have a bad belt, or if it's the compressor, or possibly the IACV? I'm at a total loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Slehman81

Sounds like the compressor is locked up-due to lack of lubrication

I'm assuming my only option is to replace the compressor, correct?

Slehman81
Yup-its pointing to that direction if its not that bad you can try putting PAG oil in it-Get an AC tech to do it and see what happens

Is this something I would be able to do myself? I don't want to sink a lot of money into my car, but at this point I can live without A/C.

Slehman81
Are you sure the belt isn't just loose?

I don't mean to sound ignorant. How can I tell if the belt is loose?

Slehman81
Grab on to it and there shouldn't be more than 3/4" play in it. If it is loose, the belt will squeal. If you are not sure how to check, take it to a parts store and they should do it for you.