CAR NOISE

2001 Honda Civic • 212,000 miles

I have a 2001 honda civic lx 5 speed and we just replaced the throwout bearing clutch, pilot bearing and whatever else came with set. The car was started when the axles were out and it was quiet but when we put axles in the grinding noise started but went silent when clutch was pushed in. Could a bad axle make that noise and when clutch is in go away? I feel like I wasted my time with throwout bearing even though it was bad. What other problems could this be. Oh and we checked the input bearing and it did not move on the transmission it spun quietly
Luvnhondas

This will be a transmission bearing, there are 2 sets of bearings on the input shaft, the main gear support bearing and a small set in the back of the input shaft that supports the front of the main shaft, in nutral the input shaft is turning as is the lay shaft and all the main shaft gears but not under load (constant mesh gear box) but I would put money on a input shaft bearing or a broken tooth on the input shaft, was there any metal in the trans oil? It will look like sivler flecks if ground up.

Mhpautos
I didnt drain thr tranny fluid but basically I should just get a new tranny right we are tired of messing with it and if it is the input then we have to crack tranny right? How long can I run it like this before it messes something up and what could it mess up?

Luvnhondas
If it is as bad as you suggest, it will fail in the near future, you will have to split the box to investigate the noise, I do feel that it will be fairly expensive to fix, you can't do this 1/2 measure its all or nothing with transmissions, if it drops it load so to speak, the transmission my lock up, or even blow a gear out the case, I have seen this more than once with very noisy gearbox's.

Mhpautos