LOCKED UP ENGINE

2001 Ford Windstar • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 62,000 miles

2001 Ford Windstar v6, engine locked. I can turn the engine backwards freely, but going forward, the engine stops at the same time, everytime. Running fine when it was shut off, oil pressure good etc.
Jeff Arnold

Correction, the engine stops at the same "place" everytime.

Jeff Arnold
I would remove all the spark plugs looking for one that is damaged then try to turn the engine with the plugs out.

Wrenchtech
If it were a damaged spark plug, wouldn't that also do the same thing while turning the engine backwards? Just thinking outloud.

Jeff Arnold
I'm just looking for evidence of damage in the upper cylinder.

Wrenchtech
Gotcha, I will pull them.

Jeff Arnold
What are the odds of a vapor lock? I pulled the plugs, all looked good, I could turn the engine. No damage to the plugs, no shavings etcc. Reinstalled the plugs and it started. Runs good. Stopped and started it several time, no issues. Vapor lock is the only thing I can think of.

Jeff Arnold
No such thing as vapor lock on that system. Now, hydro-lock is a different story if you got a cylinder full of coolant somehow but that's why I told you to remove all the plugs and eliminate that possibility. You should see evidence of something that shot out of the cylinder when you cranked it with no plugs in it.

Wrenchtech
I have the same problem, it has happened 3 times in the last year, but today when I got it unstuck and started it has a low end clunk clunk clunk noise!

Any one know whats going on here?

Blazz81